It is a snowy day here in Wyoming. Today, I had the pleasure of exploring the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) website and blog. I’m grateful for the chance to add to my personal lists from the wealth of resources from knowledgeable advisors.
The Book Lists
I think the best feature of the YALSA website is the numerous book lists that they gather. I found myself lost in the lists, gathering resources for my future classroom library. These are just a few of the amazing lists I combed today!
- Best of the Best (2016)
- Collection of YALSA Top Ten Lists
- A 10 amazing audio books for teens
- Best Fiction
- 2016’s top 10 YA Lit fiction picks
- Graphic Novels
- Graphic novels are super popular right now. This is a list of 10 YA graphic novels to explore.
- Paperback picks for teen readers
- Quick Picks
- We know that we will encounter some reluctant readers. This page has a huge list of options we might recommend to these readers.
The Hub – a YALSA Blog
The experts at YALSA also curate a blog called The Hub. I fell down a huge rabbit hole when I visited The Hub. Some of the articles I loved are listed below!
- Fun and Informative Science-Themed Graphic Novels
- Strong Female Characters Who Also Embrace Aspects of Femininity
- Booklist: Shakespeare-inspired YA Fiction
- Engaging English Language Learners
- True Crime: Books, Podcasts, and Documentaries
I really loved all the book lists and the tie-ins to other popular culture (the True Crime article has a tie in to The People v. OJ Simpson, the Serial podcast and the Netflix series Making a Murderer).
What did I learn?
Well, I first learned to explore the YALSA sites with my TBR at hand! I only added 11 titles to my TBR. Here are the ones I added.I also learned that the amazing people at the YALSA are experts at what they do! The depth of quality and breadth of topics covered on the site and the blog really show their expertise.
Have you added to your TBR List? Did you find another amazing corner of the YALSA sites? Let’s talk below…